Application process for accredited auditors

When applying for Site Contamination Specialist certification as an accredited auditor, applicants will only be assessed for the CEnvP General Certification as the Site Contamination Specialist certification is determined by their existing EPA approval. However, if an applicant is not approved by the Certification Board for CEnvP General certification, the applicant will also not be eligible for the Site Contamination Specialist certification.

To qualify for Certified Environmental Practitioner status, you need:

  • to be a current, accredited auditor
  • an environment-related degree and evidence thereof
  • nomination by three respected environmental professionals who are willing to act as referees for the candidate.
  • five years of full time equivalent experience in the functional areas of environmental practice during the last ten years.
  • evidence of and ongoing commitment to training and professional improvement (100 points of training, professional improvement, service to professional practice over a two year period).
  • evidence that the candidate is a respected, competent, ethical and active member of the profession in the form of at least two referee statements (at least one should be external to current employer), a detailed curriculum vitae, reports, publications, citations, conference / seminar presentations, etc.
  • a signed (and witnessed) statement of claim covering qualifications, experience, ethics, commitment and the accuracy of materials provided to the Certification Board.

If you are an accredited auditor and already hold a CEnvP certification, you do not have to attend an interview or complete the competency test. Please contact Program Office to apply (no online application needed). Your Site Contamination Specialist certification is considered an upgrade and you will only have to pay the reduced, one-time non-refundable, CEnvP Specialist Certification application fee. Specialist Certification renewal fees are in addition to standard CEnvP renewal fees. Annual Renewal Fees are due at the outset of each calendar year. Please see further information on fees

If you do not hold a CEnvP certification, an online application needs to be submitted. Once you have completed the form and uploaded all your supporting materials, an Administration Officer will be in touch to guide you through the next stages. Applications can be submitted anytime during the year.

Please note:

  • your online application for certification is active for 30 days. After 30 days, your application is voided automatically on our systems.
  • you can save your application and resume for 30 days. When clicking the ‘Save and Resume Later’ button you will receive a link to your application via email. If you do not send yourself the link, you will have to start the application again.
  • incomplete or flawed applications will be delayed until all missing documentation is received. This may delay your application process.

Educational qualification

An environment degree or a degree with a substantial environmental component will generally constitute the minimum requirement. In the case of the latter, further information verifying the environmental content must be provided (e.g. a transcript or academic record). In exceptional circumstances, ten years of appropriate work experience may be submitted in lieu of a suitable tertiary qualification.

Work experience

The minimum requirement is five years of full-time experience in the functional areas of environmental practice gained during the last ten years. Full time work is defined as 35 hours or more per week. Part-time work, volunteer work and work conducted during post graduate study may also be recognised where appropriate.

Certification will recognise supervisory, research, policy, regulation, community conservation work and teaching as contributing in part or whole to the 5 years ‘functional experience’, providing the applicant can demonstrate how these have contributed to relevant competence. Special dispensation may also be provided for those returning to the workforce from a long leave period associated with illness or parental leave.

The experience claimed for the minimum five years must be fully relevant to management and improvement of the environment and be independently verified by signature (e.g. current or former employer, senior colleague, referee who knew the applicant at that time). These individuals may be contacted during the application process.

The applicant must nominate a maximum of three areas of Environmental Practice. The nominated areas will be used to assess your eligibility for CEnvP and once certified these nominated areas will be used in online profiles and directories.

  • Certificate of accreditation
  • Evidence of your qualifications in the form of certified copies (see suggested Authorised Signatories in Australia, and in New Zealand)
  • A certified copy of your educational qualifications. Please do not send us your academic transcripts as they will neither be considered with your application nor returned to you.
  • A detailed CV, fully describing experience, roles and responsibilities, skills, outcomes, achievements, citations, presentations etc.

Additional information

Information may include but not necessarily be limited to testamurs, academic records, publications, citations, reports, training records, record of CPD activities undertaken, written statements of service, or information supplied by a witness, associate or referee.

Statement of claim statutory declaration

All applicants are required to sign a statutory declaration that the materials they have provided are accurate and complete in the presence of an appropriately authorised witness authority (e.g. Justice of the Peace or other relevant qualification in the jurisdiction). Applicants must provide the details of the location where the declaration is being made.

All the supporting material can be submitted online at the time the online application form is completed and submitted.

The EIANZ Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct is within the online application form. Please ensure you have read, understood and ticked that you will abide by it before proceeding onto the next section of the form.

Referee Reports must be provided from at least two of the nominated referees, including:

  • an experienced SC practitioner or who would be eligible to apply for CEnvP SC Specialist themselves
  • an environmental professional external to the applicant’s current place of work who is familiar with the applicant’s work.

The Referee Reports must provide sufficient information to demonstrate how the nominated referees meet the above requirements.

Once accepted for certification, applicants must keep a log of professional development undertaken. A points system has been devised to describe the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and the total of 100 points requirement every two years. Please see CPD guidelines for more information.

A practitioner is re-certified every two years. At this time the applicant will need to provide evidence of CPD and a statement verifying any changed circumstances including employment and ethical conduct.

It is preferable that you provide evidence supporting your claim of any recent CPD activity with your application. These activities include:

  • formal courses at accredited education or training institutes, which may be directly face-to-face, by distance learning (correspondence), internet course, or a combination of these where there is a formal assessment at the completion;
  • short courses for which there is no actual assessment, but which will result in a Certificate of Attendance (evidence of doing the course)
  • participation at technical meetings, seminars and conferences relevant to the environment profession;
  • assistance in the management and organisation of EIANZ by being a Member of a Divisional Committee, a National Councillor, member of the Executive, Member of a Certification Panel, Member of the Certification Board, or Policy Review Committee OR assisting a similar professional organisation with a strong environmental component in a similar capacity;
  • presentations at conferences, seminars and technical meetings;
  • publication of technical or research papers in journals;
  • part-time or guest lectures in environmental studies at accredited education or training institutes or organisations;
  • assistance to junior members of the profession through the mentoring program;
  • private study of journals, magazines and reference texts;
  • provision of pro bono advice and assistance to community groups, including expert witness duties and expert advice for the Environmental Defenders Office (promotion of the environment profession and principles); and
  • industry/professional involvement for academia.

To apply, simply fill out the online application form and upload the requested documents.